Renting a Property

Renting a Property


What Do I need to bring to sign up for a property?

If you have decided to take one of our properties we will ask you to come to the office to fill out an application form (or you can download the form below). You will need to bring in photo ID (driving license, passport or identity card). Please note if you are an international student or professional we will need to see your original passport (as it has your Visa in). Also, you will need contact information for your current employer if working, course details if studying (including head of department), contact details for your current landlord/agent and details of guarantor (mainly applies to students). You will also be required to pay an initial holding fee of £200 for us to take the property off the market. This fee will be deducted from your overall balance of monies to be paid before move in.

Are bills included?

In most of our properties it is the tenants responsibility to arrange their own utilities, internet, T.V license, Council Tax etc (we will however notify all relevant companies by fax once a new tenant enters a property but we cannot set up accounts for you). A few of our properties are advertised as all bills included and this will be marked clearly on the advertisements.

What references will I need?

This all depends on your personal circumstances. If you are a professional we will need to obtain a work reference (for this to be applicable you must have been in the employment for longer then 6 months). If you are self employed we will need accountant’s details and/or 3 months of bank statements. If you are a student, we will need details of your course and head of department and a guarantor (this MUST be a UK homeowner). In both cases we will also need previous landlord/agent details to obtain a reference.

What is a guarantor and will I need one?

A guarantor could be a family member or a friend who owns a property in the UK. They are basically signing a form to say they will guarantee your rent if you fall into arrears. They will also be our point of contact should we have any issues getting hold of the tenant or disputes regarding the condition of the property after vacation. As a guarantor you will need to provide us with photo ID and proof of ownership of the property.

How is my rent paid?

Your rent is paid each month on the date agreed (which generally is the date you move in). So, if your contract start date is the 1st of a month your rent will be due the 1st of each month. You can come to the office and pay by cash, cheque, debit or credit card (credit cards have a charge of 2.5%). Alternatively, you can set up a standing order when you move in or pay directly into our account via online banking (if you call us we will provide you with the details).

Can I smoke in the property?

Some landlords say they want non – smokers residing in their properties….Lets be real! No-one can stop you from smoking in the property. Just note that any damages caused to the property E.G burn marks in carpets or furniture, you the tenant will be held responsible for and will be required to pay for these damages.

Do you accept pets?

Generally, no our properties do not accept pets. However, it is up to the landlord’s discretion. If you live in a block of flats then dogs are not allowed at all. If you live in a house then you will have to put your request in writing and we will ask the landlord on your behalf.

Who else is living in my block?

Apart from a couple of student specific blocks, we generally advertise our properties to both professionals and students. Getting an idea on the area will give you an inkling as to who your neighbours will be. For example if you live in Fallowfield, you are more likely to have students living in the other flats whereas Withington and Didsbury would more likely be professionals.

What’s included in fully furnished?

Please see list below of our general furniture list.

Bedroom – Double bed and mattress, wardrobe, chest of drawers or desk with drawers (if student).

Lounge – sofa, coffee table, dining table (landlords discretion).

Kitchen – will include all white goods, Fridge/freezer, oven/hob, washing machine (Some properties do have washer/dryers).

Some of our landlords do provide microwaves and vacuum cleaners. We advise you to ask upon viewing. Also always ask what is included before you sign for a place!

What happens if I want to change my tenancy?

Changing a tenancy is not as simple as just re-writing and re-printing. Once a contract is signed it is a legal binding agreement. Any amendments you wish to make (e.g changing a name or adding someone on) can be done but must be requested in writing prior and the amendments have to be agreed by your landlord.

Want happens if I want to end my tenancy early?

Always remember a contract is a legal binding agreement. It is not as simple as handing back your keys and leaving when you feel like. It is up to the landlords discretion as to whether you can vacate the property early. Usual agreements will be you can leave early if you find someone to take over the remainder of the contract or by giving us ample notice to advertise and re-let the property. Please note, you will still be held responsible for the rent and property until the property has been re-let.

What do I do if I wish to continue after the end of the tenancy?

If you wish to continue residing at the property you need to let the landlord/ourselves know at least 1 month before the contract is due to end. We will need your request in writing (letter or e-mail) stating that you are intending to stay. Please note you need to inform us at the earliest as we re-market properties where contracts are due to end. The longer you leave it the more chance there is the property will have been re-let.

Do I need insurance?

The landlord of the property will have landlords insurance for the building. This does not cover your personal belongings as tenants. We strongly advise you take out your own contents insurance upon entering one of our properties.

How do I report repairs?

You need to report repairs to our office at the earliest. You can do this by either calling us or by sending an e-mail. Please do not contact our out of hour’s number for general repairs. If it can wait until you can report it to us the next day, then do so. It is always advisable to send an email for reporting any issues. This avoids confusion and can be logged by both you and the agent.

What is an emergency:

(This is not an exhaustive list)

No heating in winter (In summer/warm weather no heating is not deemed an emergency). No electricity (you must check if the fuse has blown or the electricity supply is off next door fist to see if it is your supplier issue). Break-in and property needs securing following such and leaks.

If you loose your keys and require the emergency service, be prepared to pay the contractor direct upon their attendance.

What is not deemed an emergency?

(This is not an exhaustive list)

Oven not working, toilet blocked, notice of vermin at the property, forgot alarm code, washing machine or electrical item faulty. You have to think in terms of if it was your own home. Always remember: (If you break it you fix it. Don’t )

What is the landlord’s responsibility and what are the tenants?

There are always going to be disputes on repairs the landlord should fix or whether the tenant should change the lightbulb please see PDF files attached for further info.

Useful Files and Forms

Landlords and tenants repairing obligations

Repairs in private rented sector housing

Request a Valuation